LKDFN Elections will be held on March 28th, 2017

LKDFN Elections will be held on March 28th, 2017

FAQ´s regarding the Elections


Eligibility Criteria

  1. I am an employee of the Lutsel K´e Dene First Nation. Can I still work while I am running for Chief? 

If you are an employee of the LKDN, you have to take a leave of absense in order to run. If elected, you have to either take an unpaid leave of absense or resign to your position.


  1. What is an immediate family member?

Someone's spouse, parents and grandparents, children and grand children, brothers and sisters, mother in law and father in law, brothers in law and sisters in law, daughters in law and sons in law. Adopted, half, and step members are also included in immediate familyA candidate cannot be nominated by an immediate family member.


  1. What is the eligibility criteria?

In order to be nominated for and hold office, candidates for Chief and Councillor positions:

  • Must be a legally registered LKDFN member
  • Must be 18 years of age or older
  • Cannot be employed by the LKDFN while in office. Employees wishing to run for Chief must take leave of absence to run.
  • Must not be in debt to the LKDFN
  • Must not be convicted of an indictable offense
  • Must practice a healthy lifestyle; once elected the Chief and all Councillors shall maintain sobriety.
  • A Chief or Councillor who has not practiced sobriety prior to being elected, must agree to attend a treatment program of 30 days or less.


  1. Where can I get more information regarding eligibility or the elections?

You can call the elections officer to 1(867) 370 3217 or send an email to


Voting Day

  1. What are the voting options?

You can vote in any of the polling stations in Lutsel K´e, Yellowknife and Forth Smith. Also, if you are not close to any of the polling stations you can vote via proxy or remote voting (email or fax).  Please send a request to vote via proxy or remotely to or call 1(867) 370 3217


  1. Do I need to fill a form in order to vote proxy?

Yes. You need to request a form to vote via proxy and submit the filled form before the elections. Also you will need to attached a copy of treaty card and a Government Issue card, two (2) piece of an identification card.


  1. How can I vote remotely?

If a person is eligible to vote but is not able to vote on Election Day, he or she may vote by fax/email. The electoral officer will submit the forms on the elections day upon request. If you have questions regarding how to vote remotely You can call the elections officer to 1(867) 370 3217 or send an email to


  1. Can I vote before the elections?

No, you cannot vote before the official day of elections. If for some reason you are not able to vote that day please keep in mind you can vote via proxy, email or fax. 


Please contact the elections officer at or call to 1(867) 370 3217.  If you have further questions or comments.